Did you know that some common food items in your pantry can be toxic to your furry friend?
That’s why you should look a food item up before giving it to your pet to make sure it’s safe for him to consume. That’s one surefire way to avoid accidental poisoning.
In this blog post, we’ll share a list of toxic foods to avoid feeding your pet.
Keep reading to learn more.
Without further ado, let’s take a look at all the fruits and vegetables you should keep as far away from your pet as possible.
Here’s the deal.
Some parts of avocado contain Persin, a known toxin that causes diarrhea and vomiting. Persin poisoning can be deadly for small dogs as they don’t need a large dose to develop an aversive reaction. The fleshy part of the fruit, however, is safe.
Chocolates are not safe for pets because they contain the toxin Theobromine, which can induce tremors and seizures. Other symptoms of Theobromine poisoning include internal bleeding, irregular heartbeat, and heart attack.
Can’t live without your cup of morning coffee?
Make sure to keep it away from your furry friend! Beverages such as tea, coffee, and energy drinks contain caffeine, which, just like chocolates, contains the toxin Theobromine.
4. Grapes and Raisins
Grapes, as well as raisins, are linked to acute kidney failure. Pets show symptoms like vomiting, abdominal pain, lethargy, decreased appetite, and dehydration after eating these.
5. Citric Fruits
While Citric fruits contain a good dose of Vitamin C, they aren’t safe for your furbaby. These contain the toxin psoralen, the side effects of which include sensitivity to light, diarrhea, and vomiting.
6. Chives, Garlic, and Onion
Even the smallest amount of these can have harmful effects. Consumption can result in gastroenteritis, anemia, and red blood cell damage. Your pooch will show the following side effects:
- Increased heart rate
Green tomatoes are extremely toxic to pets as they contain the toxin, Solanine that causes symptoms like upset stomach, vomiting, diarrhea, and more.
The flesh of the cherry fruit is safe for dogs. However, the seeds aren’t as they contain trace amounts of Cyanide that can critically damage your dog’s nervous system. In some cases, it could even kill your dog!
Do you like winding down in the evening with a glass of wine?
Make sure Fido isn’t around when you’re performing your evening ritual! Alcohol isn’t safe for pets since its ethanol. Even the smallest amount will affect your dog differently.
Alcohol consumption can cause seizures, vomiting, restlessness, diarrhea, and muscle tremors in dogs.
You’ll find this artificial sweetener in many products like peanut butter, sodas, toothpaste, chewing gums, etc. Xylitol can cause liver damage in pets. Symptoms of poisoning include seizures, vomiting, and loss of coordination. Make sure when feeding your furbaby peanut butter that you purchase one that does not contain xylitol in it!
All in All: Toxic Foods to Avoid Feeding Your Pets!
Did we help you figure out what’s unsafe for your furry friend to consume?
In this blog post, we shared ten common foods and beverages that are toxic to dogs. If you suspect that your dog might have consumed these, call your vet as soon as possible.
Which food item on this list did you not know about? Let us know in the comments.